Thursday 29 September 2011

Suddenly I'm attractive!

Unfortunately only to some wasps!  I haven't been stung by a bee or a wasp or anything else since I was about 6 or 7 years old and yet suddenly they seem to be attacking me like there's no tommorrow.  Last Sunday morning I was out walking Izzy and Ella at around 6.30 am and as I was strolling along the side of a field when a wasp like insect flew straight into my face in quite a frenzied manner and stung me just below the left eye - it took me quite a while to get it off me.  I'm not sure what type of wasp it was - not the usual stripey sort - smaller than a standard wasp and a pale gold colour.  Within minutes I could feel my face swelling and by the time I got back to the car about 40 minutes later and looked in the mirror it had swollen and taken on a bruised appearance making me look like someone had punched me in the eye - in fact my husband was worried that people would think he'd done it!!  On Tuesday morning I was walking through the woods when another one attacked me but this time I managed to fight it off before it could sting me. Finally this morning I was walking in another place and noticed something yellow on Izzy which I went to brush off and it was another one which stung me on the hand!!  I suppose I should count myself lucky that I'm not allergic to them but I have to say I'm beginning to feel a bit paranoid!  Anyone got a bee keepers helmet I can borrow?!

1 comment:

  1. It was small striped wasps round here - until we found the nest. Then it was a quick blast with the insecticide after dark when they aren't so active. I suspect there are some more in the bank of the paper road next door but haven't located them yet as its a bit early in the season here. (the blossom is busily doing its thing at present).

    Like your blog btw

    viv in nz

    ReplyDelete