Tuesday 20 September 2011

No Holiday for us - times are hard!

Just been speaking to my sister who is off to Turkey on her holidays today and I'll admit to feeling somewhat envious - particularly since Autumn seems to have arrived in the Cotwolds already and it's a particularly grey day here!  A week in the sun would be just the job.  Unfortunately money is tight in our household and we can't afford a holiday this year along with the accompanying cost of getting someone to look after the dogs - which frankly costs almost as much as the holiday itself.  I couldn't bear to put them in kennels so we usually get a pet sitter to come and stay in the house with them but this doesn't come cheap.

I've come to the conclusion that we must be old fashioned because we could of course pay for a holiday on a credit card as so many people seem to but w'ere not comfortable doing that.  I'd be worrying about how I was going to pay it back  - I think I'm lucky in that I didn't grow up in a time where people were happy to get into and live with huge debts as so many people seem to be now.  If  I can't afford it I don't have it!

For a lot of people it all starts with going to uni or college and then leaving with huge debts which will take them years to pay off - it's seen as the norm now.  The more debt you have the more emails and letters you seem to get from banks and other financial institutions offering you even more credit that you won't be able to pay off in your lifetime. We seem to have created a new breed of people who not only spend, spend ,spend but borrow, borrow, borrow to do it!  I have a friend who has huge debts and even though she has a good job she'll never pay them off - and yet every time I see her she has some new shoes or item of clothing that she doesn't really need! Madness.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mrs CG! Just popped over from your other half's blog where I have been enjoying his views on life for a few years, very good to be reading you too, after seeing you mentioned so often. (from rainy West Oxfordshire)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of blogging..........

    It's great you have started blogging and as Gretel said we can read your views on what's happening in your neck of the woods.

    Hope there's no arguments between you and Mr. CG on who's using the computer!!

    Quite agree with you on the credit card situation, even though we have and use them, the total amount has to be paid off each month.

    If I didn't live so far away, I would offer to 'pet sit' for you, I would love a holiday in the Cotswolds...........

    Hope you manage to get some sunny Autumn weather before Winter sets in.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete