Tuesday 20 September 2011

Looking for a Job - it's a full time occupation

I've been job hunting on the internet and what a nightmare.  I chose to use the internet because it is free and I had hoped would be more efficient saving me money on phone calls and petrol - how wrong was I!  I'm after either a part-time job, or something that I can do from home as I have 2 young dogs and can't leave them shut in the house for too long - I reckon about 4 hours a day - maybe a bit longer if I could split the hours I worked into 2 separate periods and pop home to walk the dogs in between.  I therefore need to find a job locally because the time that I'm out of the house will need to include any travel time to and from work and also I have to think of the cost of petrol when getting to a job - I live in the countryside and there is no public transport at all so I'd have to drive and may also need to consider the cost of parking. I've spent the last 20 or so years working full time as an HR Manager/Consultant  but have been looking for general admin roles as it's much more likely that I will find something local and part-time in that area.  However, whilst there a few things I definitely don't want to do - like selling and cold calling - I'm pretty open to trying something new or different too - if it fits in with my criteria. 

So to start searching - first I thought I'd see what opportunities there are for people to work from home - what a minfield - mostly all you get is people trying to sell you some mystery package which they promise will make you a fortune for just a couple of hours work a week - I firmly believe that if these things sound too good to be true they probably are so have given these a wide berth!

Next I thought I'd look for a part-time local job - this has been incredibly frustrating - firstly searching takes you to hundreds of online recruitment agency websites whose sole aim seems to be to get you to provide them with all your details before you can even look at the jobs.  When you do get to look at the list of vacancies you gererally just get the vaguest of details about the job and there are no details such as who the company is,where the job is based (beyond the county) and what the hours are and how much flexibility there is over when you can work them.  Apparently all this is a secret!  Many of the jobs clearly don't exist but are just used as a "carrot" to get you to sign up with an agency. This means you can waste hours of your time applying for a job that may not exist in the first place, is in a location which is impractical for you and with hours that were never going to work for you!  Why waste my time and theirs?  I've come to the conclusion that many of these home-working and recruitment websites are there just to get all your details so they can sell them on. 

So then I decided to go the more direct route and search for jobs on the individual websites of local companies - it takes a little time to find out what companies there are locally (and I'm surprised how many of them don't have websites or don't have any info on them about jobs)  but at least I know that they're in a suitable location.  However, when you do go to the websites even these are unclear on the hours - most just say "part-time" - with no details of whether this is flexible or not - so you can waste more time and money ringing them to ask what flexibility there might be and often they tell you to just apply and discuss the hours if successful.  Surely it is in their own interests to be clear about these things from the outset if they want to find the right person for their vacancy?
So here I am still no sign of a job with a phone bill the size of the National Debt!

2 comments:

  1. Wishing you all the best with your job hunting, does sound very frustrating and living in the countryside does have it's downsides but you probably wouldn't want to live anywhere else............I know I don't.

    Hope you can find something suitable without too much trouble.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I can raise you a national debt electricity bill and add a business related something or other bill with no income to meet it. Not the best week round here.

    However summer is coming up so the next electric bill ought to be minimal (famous last words).

    Good luck on the job front

    viv in nz

    ReplyDelete